With World Environment Day around the block, we share you five ways to make Mother Nature feel special.
World Environment Day is celebrated each year on June 5 to spread global awareness regarding Mother Nature. Each year this day is celebrated with a theme that focuses on a particular persistent environmental concern and the theme of this year is Air Pollution.
The health effects of air pollution are serious – one third of deaths from stroke, lung cancer and heart disease are due to air pollution. This comes much higher than the effects of high salt intake equivalent to smoking tobacco.
Air Pollution facts:
- 92 per cent of people worldwide do not breathe clean air
- Air pollution costs the global economy $5 trillion every year in welfare costs
- Ground-level ozone pollution is expected to reduce staple crop yields by 26 per cent by 2030
We can't stop breathing but we can do something about the quality of air that we breathe. This year’s World Environment Day provides an opportunity for each of us to combat air pollution around the world.
Here are some ideas:
- Use public transport or car sharing, cycle or walk.
- Switch to a hybrid or electric vehicle and request electric taxis.
- Turn off the ignition if you're waiting more than 10 seconds
- Compost organic food items and recycle non-organic trash.
- Switch to high-efficiency home heating systems and equipment.
- Turn off lights and electronics when not in use. Save Energy.
- Never burn trash, as this contributes directly to air pollution.
- Choose non-toxic paints.
Small changes can make big difference in reducing the amount of air pollution you are exposed to. Do your part and improve livability.
Know more ways to combat air pollution? Join the conversation and share your thoughts.